Fellow APS members,
My name is Jerry Ding and I am offering my service to APS as the National Treasurer.
I was trained as a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) with specializations in Corporate Finance and Internal Audit in 2013, and later obtained a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree from the University of Alberta specializing in business strategies, financial management and investments.
I joined APS and CBC/Radio-Canada in 2015 and, since then, have been managing accounting, reporting and budgets for CBC Edmonton in a financial controller’s capacity. I provide professional advice to members of APS, CMG and Management to ensure policy adherence, budget compliance, and financial accountability.
I am a member of the APS Investment Committee. In the past year, I worked with the incumbent National Treasurer and other committee members in evaluating and recommending investment opportunities for APS assets, aiming at maximizing overall rates of returns while protecting investment principals. I also participated in the 2017 APS National Council and General Assembly in Montreal as an observer and advisor.
According to the APS By-laws, the National Treasurer is an important and specialized position that is tasked with a host of professional accounting duties including:
- Ensure preparation and submission of audited financial statements
- Coordinate and respond to external auditors’ requests
- Safeguard and invest union assets
- Review travel and expense claims
- Ensure policy and by-law adherence
These tasks require specialized knowledge and training, and call for a candidate with thorough knowledge of accounting, auditing, investment and financial management, and a candidate with honesty, integrity and unbiased judgment in order to protect the interest of the members.
If elected, I will commit myself to improving the union’s operation and promoting financial transparency through:
- Quarterly easy-to-understand financial updates to members through website postings
- Timely publication and interpretation of annual financial statements and auditor’s report
- Disclosure to members of all significant union travel and expense claims
I would make myself available to members, and respond to your questions, concerns, or suggestions whenever needed.
Thank you for your kind consideration.
This page has no comments.